Sunday, November 13, 2011

Designer Notebook - New York, 2011


The Musso Design Group recently made a trip to New York to visit some of our favorite vendors like Kravet and Robert Kuo and enjoy the magnificent Alexander McQueen fashion exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Each of our designers kept a mental notebook of their impressions.  

Todd Falconbury:
The trip to New York was anything but boring.  Our daytime adventures were packed with showroom after showroom of classic and contemporary styled furniture.  I loved the unique chairs we found in our furniture showroom journey, including new chairs from Zulu craftsmen to a vintage “Question Mark” chair, circa 1962, and valued at over $20,000. 

Unique chairs can create interesting focal points, add some whimsical relief to a formal space, or used to evoke a reaction or start a conversation.   A distinctive chair has the power to entirely alter the look and feel of a space, so they need to be used carefully. 

Lauren Sardo:
We are constantly on the hunt for fresh and bold ideas to incorporate into our design projects and our trip to New York was perfectly timed.  Showroom after showroom, I was struck by the use of wonderful and vibrant colors. Taking a nod from current fashion collections, the home goods market seems to be projecting a happier mood.

I loved the vintage Louis stools covered in hot pink velvet, and the pattern and color combinations in the pillow section of Barney’s home store were truly inspiring. Using a modern fabric on a vintage mid-century chair really makes it look fresher and more contemporary.

Lauren Dott:
I captured many inspiring images while sourcing fabric and furniture during our New York trip.  Many of the pictures I took were simply meant for myself as a visual reminder about a certain style, color, potential client idea, specific vendor name, or just because I found it aesthetically pleasing.   But, when later uploading my photos, I found a common thread:  Many of my images were round or circular in form.


I was smitten at the Baker showroom over the hanging pendant with round gold glass discs in various lengths.  (I recently ordered this for a client’s dining room!)  I was intrigued by crystal spheres from Moura Starr, and the dramatic reflections on the glamorous furniture that were cast from the round pendants above. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment