Monday, January 17, 2011

Meet Todd Falconbury

Photo of Todd FalconburyTodd Falconbury is an Interior Designer with the Musso Design Group.  Todd joined the firm in 2006, shortly before he graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 2007.  Todd shares some personal insights in this interview. 

Did you always know that you were destined for design?
Yes.  In grade school, a few of the neighborhood kids would get together and make up plays for our parents or other kids.  I was always in charge of set design.  As I grew up, my passion went to landscape design, but I knew the Indiana weather would not allow me to do that.  So many years later and after a career in sales, I finally went back to school, received a degree in Fine Arts, and was hired by Bill Musso in 2006.

What absolutely has to be in place for a successful design project?

One word for me, “patience.”  And that goes for both parties involved.  As in any job that is done in any field, if you rush a job, more than likely there will be Moooi Blown Away Vaseconsequences.  Delays, extra expenses, and time driven short cuts always compromise good design.

Who makes your favorite home accessories on the market now? 
I have to say Moooi.  We found them in New York last year.  Where else can you find a “blow away vase” which is a blue and white china vase that literally looks like the top section has been blown over, or a fiberglass side table that has four very different leg shapes?

What is that one piece of furniture you completely love?  
I have always loved the Barcelona chair for its clean lines and would love to have one someday.  At home, I love my sectional sofa from Southern Design Source at ADAC.  Besides looking great, it is simply comfortable to collapse in after a long day.  

Photo of Barcelona chairHow often do you make interior changes at home?
I say not enough, others say TOO MUCH!  Again, I like changing my surroundings to create different feelings for different times.  I may just change an accent wall color, or pick up new pillows for a chair or bed.

What’s the one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?
I have a rather unchecked addiction to candles.  Some people call it crazy, I call it fun. I use them to create moods by addressing the sense of smell.  For Halloween I have a special black candle ("Salem" from Modern Alchemy) that smells of burnt wood when lit.

Must see TV:  What television show do you watch religiously?
Yes, I’m a “Gleek!”  I got the “Glee” bug and I dread the day they say the show is canceled.  I also really like “Raising Hope.”  Of course, Project Runway, Top Chef, Survivor, and MY favorite BIG Brother are always filling up the DVR.  

Tell us about your most challenging design project.
Every job has a unique challenge to attack, but we designed a home in the Northeast without seeing it in person.  The entire project was executed through emails, photos, and conference calls.  We never met the client face to face until a year after it was completed. When we finally got to Connecticut, it was great to see the room was set up as we originally planned it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment