Monday, November 7, 2011

Meet Lauren Dott


Lauren Dott joined our firm in 2010. Originally from Maryland and raised in Florida, Lauren received a B.A. in Interior Design from the Savannah College of Art and Design, and also studied at the Ecole de Beaux Art in Lacoste, France. Previous design work includes an internship with NBC's Will & Grace, high end residential project management and multi-family high-rise design experience.

Did you always know that you were destined for a career in interior design?
As a kid I used to love rearranging my bedroom, and taking accessories from different areas of my parent’s house to find a new place for them. I remember watching my Mom’s interior designer in our home. I worked for her the summer before I left for college, and thought this is a job I would be excited about waking up for each morning. After my first college level interiors studio class, I was hooked.

What was your first official interior design project?
I was interning in L.A. over a summer for an interior designer and set designer. Our client really needed spatial and proper furniture selection to accommodate his new space. We transformed the space by centering the room on this great open window he had not taken advantage of before, which had a fantastic view of the Hollywood sign in the distance.

Tell us about your most challenging design project.
A residential project on Big Win Island, a golf community in Canada. Tracking and customs for a large home is one thing, but each of the items had to be loaded onto a boat on a lake and taken over to the property across the shore. Oh, and it was a winter install.

What is that one piece of furniture you completely love?
I have a pair of Knoll Wassily chairs in caramel color leather that really do make me smile. The website, 1stdibs.com is a fantastic resource to view furniture, art and accessories. I could browse that site for hours looking at pieces I love.

What fabric excites you these days? 
A recent client required that all fabrics in their home be of all natural materials. This search opened my eyes to some of the most lovely linens, cottons and wools, and I have grown to love the simple luxury of the de Le Cuona line, founded in Windsor, England. Rich, subtle and glamorous.


What Myth about Interior Designers would you like to debunk?
That we sit around and look at pretty fabrics all day. Sure we have the fantastic privilege of viewing and sourcing amazing pieces of furniture and fabrics for clients, but the majority of my day consists of very detailed paper work, hounding vendors to ensure items are correct and delivered timely, and back to back client meetings and site visits.

Who is your favorite fashion designer?

Diane von Furstenburg. Her iconic prints and style are why she will continue to have such longevity in the fashion world. Her playful use of colors and lines flow right into her new home collection.

0 comments:

Post a Comment